Thursday, July 15, 2010

States Rights

Forwarded from Secesh

“I rise, Mr. President, for the purpose of announcing to the Senate that I have satisfactory evidence that the state of Mississippi, by a solemn ordinance of her people in convention assembled, has declared her separation from the United States. Under these circumstances, of course, my functions terminate here. It has seemed to me proper, however, that I should appear in the Senate to announce that fact to my associates, and I will say but little more. It is known to senators who have served with me here, that I have for many years advocated, as an essential attribute of State sovereignty, the right of a State to secede from the Union…I should still, under my theory of government, because of my allegiance to the State of which I am a citizen, have been bound by her action. We but tread in the paths of our fathers when we proclaim our independence and take the hazard…not in hostility to others, not to injure any section of the country, not even for our own pecuniary benefit, but from the high and solemn motive of defending and protecting the rights we inherited, and which it is our duty to transmit unshorn to our children. We will invoke the God of our fathers, who delivered them from the power of the lion, to protect us from the ravages of the bear; and thus, putting our trust in God and in our own firm hearts and strong arms, we will vindicate the right as best we may. I see now around me some with whom I have served long. There have been points of collision; but whatever of offense to me, I leave here. I carry with me no hostile remembrance…I go hence unencumbered by the remembrance of any injury received, and having discharged the duty of making the only reparation in my power for any injury received. Mr. President and Senators, having made the announcement which the occasion seemed to me to require, it remains only for me to bid you a final adieu."

Jefferson Davis, farewell to the Senate and farewell to the United States

Remember the 10th Amendment?

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I bet someone in Arizona is dusting it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment